About Me

My photo
I am networking on Myspace and Facebook.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Blog Journal # 4

In Tech Tactics, Chapter 7 details the advantages of using Outlines, Idea Maps, and Storyboards for teaching students. First, I learned that I should try to teach using methods that eliminate the ability for a student to simply copy my information and just submit it to me. I would rather my students push themselves to build each of their own projects using the tools that I have instructed. If I teach using an outline I will require a student to build his or her own project. Outlines only pull forward the main points that I wish to discuss. I can simply include the topics and subtopics of an assignment or concept and ask my students to elaborate. And, as I have stated in my earlier Blog Journal posts, using Microsoft Word is a great tool to build an outline as there is an outline function to organize my titles and subtitles.

I would also encourage my students to use a planning resource, like an outline, before completing a project. Storyboards, outlines, and idea maps are all a part of planning a project. Using planning methods will keep the ideas in an organized and chronological fashion. And, they can help build the impact of a concept for the person or people who are to be reading and interpreting the project's report. It is inappropriate for a student to give a summary in place where there should be details of a report. Details help make a summary conceiveable.

I actually used to think that building an outline was pointless. I thought it was a waste of time and that my thoughts would naturally flow in the order of significance. The truth is, a report can have a more powerful impact when written in a special order. I have learned that using word processing software for planning a report or project can minimize the amount of time spent on planning. Firstly, it is quicker to type a sentence than to write that same sentence character- for- character. Secondly, there are marginal tools that help organize what numbers or letters should go next in a numbered or lettered list. Sometimes I have forgotten what the Roman numeral eight looks like. In a word processor, there is no need for me to remember. I just want to get my ideas in order and plan an effective project.

No comments:

Post a Comment