I mentioned in my last post that I am constantly on the internet-- about five hours a day. Although I had a computer and web access, this was not the case ten years ago. I am learning that there is a shift in how I depend on using the internet, one of the latest forms of media technology. The internet is also where the latest forms of media technology are housed.
I use the media so much that I will even refer to a term we used during our second week of class: "posthumanism." Posthumanism is a term that we discussed as we read author's Beer and Gane's The Key Concepts of New Media. I am meshing with the new media, the latest forms of media technology, to the extent that I hardly notice I am even using them. For example, I carry my cell phone without even thinking about it. I use the internet to google the nearest gas station. I seek the use of this device to perform my daily functions. This is what I have learned that posthumanism is all about! The cell phone is functioning almost like a prosthesis, or an added-on limb to my body.

No comments:
Post a Comment